block scope + direct non-strict eval

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Tue Jan 31 09:40:47 PST 2012

On Jan 31, 2012, at 8:44 AM, Andreas Rossberg wrote:

> On 31 January 2012 17:27, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>> Instead, I would say that TC39 wants to eliminate the concept of "classic mode".
>
> What do you mean? I don't see how it can be eliminated, except by name games.

What we agreed to eliminate is the concept of a"classic mode" that corresponds to unextended non-strict ES5.  Both non-strict and strict code in ES6 will include support for the extended ES6 language features.  In a few cases the semantics of extensions may differ slightly between strict and non-strict code and a few extensions may only be available for use by strict code

Allen