Let's kill terms "native" and "host"

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Mon Jan 30 11:48:00 PST 2012

On Jan 30, 2012, at 11:41 AM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
>> From the PoV of JSC I suspect our biggest problem will actually be our API, which essentially allows developers to override an arbitrary collection of [[SomeInternalMethod]] methods, potentially inconsistently (a sad fact of our api is that you can override [[HasProperty]] and [[GetProperty]] independently, and have them be inconsistent :(
>
> Some of this factoring appears to have been done simply for economy of expression. I'm all for cleaning up the internal methods to eliminate such unneeded flexibility and to bring them inline with Proxy handlers.

Oh, this is specifically a JSC issue, it's not a spec related problem -- we have API and ABI that guarantee these bits of weirdness are possible, so it's simply going to be a matter of trying to work around them, or otherwise mask the behaviour without impacting existing clients.  No change in the spec can effect our existing API -> property attributes are still DontDelete, etc in C code, because anything would break source compat, what fun!

--Oliver