Module linking (Was: The global object should not be the "global scope instance object")

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Mon Jan 30 11:10:37 PST 2012

> Allen Wirfs-Brock <mailto:allen at wirfs-brock.com>
> January 30, 2012 10:17 AM
> On Jan 30, 2012, at 5:00 AM, Andreas Rossberg wrote:
>
>> On 28 January 2012 02:08, Allen Wirfs-Brock<allen at wirfs-brock.com>  wrote:
>>> I played around a bit to see if I could come up with a troublesome example
>>> of the sort you may be thinking about.  What I came up with is the follow:
>>>
>>> <script>
>>> module a {
>>>     import {x:y} from b;
>> I think you wanted to say {y:x} here.
>
> no, I think  {x:y}  means creating a binding for x that is linked to b.y

No, the binding name is in the property value position. This is why the
shorthand works: import {x} from b; would bind local x to b.x.

Some find this "backwards" but it has to be this way -- the property
name destructured from the RHS is on the left of : and the binding name
is on the right. The shorthand helps in most cases, and
backwards-sensitive people learn :-|.