The global object should not be the "global scope instance object"

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at google.com
Mon Jan 30 02:44:29 PST 2012

On 27 January 2012 23:49, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:
> OTOH, people may think "oh, finally! const!" and use const declarations in
> an early/common script, wanting to see them later on. I still think we could
> say "sorry, script-local" and then "use a module".

Yes, I cannot imagine that this would not break a few existing web pages.

What are you proposing for module bindings then? They would have to be
visible later on for the "use modules" excuse to work. Do they
clash/shadow/overwrite?

And wouldn't it be a bit unfortunate/counter-intuitive to have
different rules for modules and other lexical bindings?

Btw, the modules excuse can likewise be applied in defence of STL:
"sorry, name clash, wrap in a module".

/Andreas