__proto__ security

Herby Vojčík herby at mailbox.sk
Mon Jan 30 01:38:55 PST 2012

Gavin Barraclough wrote:
> I just don't see why we would want to muddy up some core mechanisms
> of the object model, making them more difficult for users of the
> language to understand, for the non-benefit of making __proto__
> appear to be something that it isn't. It just seems like a bad idea
> wrapped in a bad  idea to me.

One possibility to take the magic away from [[Put]] would be to revisit
something that appeared while talking about "shared part" discussion on
non-writable inherited properties. That is, to include fourth attribute,
shadowable, with default on true; which when false, would mean the
[[DefineOwnProperty]] trap should be called on containing object, not on
this.

> cheers,
> G.

Herby