Read access to [[Class]]?

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Sat Jan 28 20:14:35 PST 2012

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:

> Axel Rauschmayer wrote:
>
>> Alternative:
>>    $ Object.prototype.toString.**call(true)
>>    '[primitive boolean]'
>>

> No gratuitous runtime incompatibility, it will only break compat and
> punish early browser impelmentations. We've been over this.

+1.

> Please resist the urge to "clean things up".

Hi Brendan, I think I agree with what I think you're trying to say. But I
do not agree with what you said. In going from ES3 to ES5, we've cleaned up
many things. In going from ES5 to ES6, we are again striving to clean up
some things, such as completion reform. But for every thing we successfully
clean up, there may be 1000 we would have liked to clean up but can't. Such
cleanups are the riskiest part of what we do; and we have learned, IMO, the
appropriate level of conservatism. Sometimes we overshoot and sometimes we
undershoot. But when we succeed, it is some of our most important
accomplishments. I hope we never lose this urge.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM