The global object should not be the "global scope instance object"

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Fri Jan 27 14:52:54 PST 2012

Axel Rauschmayer wrote:
> I’m wondering: Won’t modules make many of these things much easier,
> given that global state will usually be encapsulated per module? As a
> programmer, I’d try to get out of global scope and into module scope
> as quickly as possible (similar to people using IIFEs now). Wouldn’t
> that suggest migrating some ES.next and browser mechanisms to modules?

No. Downrev browsers will mean non-strict top level code will be around
for a good while. Not everyone will get an ES6 to ES5 compiler. We do
not want only "use a module" if we can also say "let or const at
top-level opts into lexical bindings."

The question then is: what should let and const at top-level do? That
leads to global-object (not really tenable with let and const, IMHO),
vs. single top-level vs. nesting vs. isolated. I still incline toward
isolated but see the appeal of nesting.