Ubiquitous conditionals

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Wed Jan 25 13:28:08 PST 2012

Herby Vojčík wrote:
> The code above is till too imperative - it is really carrying out the
> if statement and the doing whatever one pleases inside (so one must
> scan if it really is only result.{...}), and has one level of nesting
> more.
The form you showed was every bit as imperative. I don't like punning
'if' statements into object literals as a special form.Why not switch
statements? Why not loops with computed property names?

Restricting the consequent or loop body to be more declarative does not
remove the ability to do a great many imperative things in the initial
value expressions.

We have imperative forms (statements). We have object literals. Keeping
them from blurring together is better for readability in my opinion. Add
to this the relative rarity of needing such an if. Then add the ability
to use .{ or whatever it'll be called.