Re: Question about the “full Unicode in strings” strawman

John Tamplin jat at google.com
Wed Jan 25 11:37:11 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen at wirfs-brock.com>wrote:

> It isn't clear from your  source code what encoding issues you have
> actually identified.  I suspect that you are talking about what happens
> when an external resource (a application/javascript file) which may be in
> various UTF encodings is normalized and passed to the JavaScript parser.
>  If so, that isn't what we are talking about here.  We are talking about
> what values can exist at runtime as the individual elements of a string
> value.

No, I am talking about storing values directly in a string in JS, sending
them to a server via XHR, and have them arrive there the same as they
existed in JS.  There are tests in GWT that verify that, and without
replacing certain values with escape sequences (which get reversed on the
server), they do not make it unmangled to the server (and inspecting the
packets on the wire shows the mangling happens in the browser not the
server).

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google