Augmenting Number.prototype with the functions from Math

Herby Vojčík herby at mailbox.sk
Wed Jan 25 10:49:28 PST 2012

I see more a "cultural" question here. There are lots of functions in ES
which would make perfect (and probably better) sense if called on object
than from outside (definePrototype & Co., maybe even isArray), but it is
probably seen more "Javascriptic" to put them statically into Object,
Number, Array, whatever.

I think it has something with feeling they should not be dynamic part of
object's contract, but on the contrary, they should be "decoupled" into
safe managerial havens of Object, Array etc.

But I can't say for sure.

As I see it, in ES this is the way. Even if I don't like it, and it
seems to me cumbersome to always do Object.fooBarBazAndMore(x, ...), I
accept it as "Javascriptic" way to go.

Moving just pow would create more confusion, I think. Moving more would
also create lot of confusion (in actual state, only hasOwnProperty is
the case which seems to not align with this way, being in
Object.prototype; and you often see code like var hasOwn =
Object.prototype.hasOwnProperty; or even var hasOwn =
Function.prototype.call.bind(Object.prototype.hasOwnProperty) just to
bring it back to "external actors" domain).

Herby