Ubiquitous conditionals

Herby Vojčík herby at mailbox.sk
Wed Jan 25 03:21:00 PST 2012

?

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Herby Vojčík <herby at mailbox.sk
> <mailto:herby at mailbox.sk>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     not very often, but also not very rare, is there the case of this
>     kind of code:
>
>       var result = {
>         model: model,
>         seats: seats
>       };
>       if (space) {
>         result.truck = true;
>         result.space = space;
>       }
>

> var result = {
>        model: model,
>        seats: seats
>      };
> if ( space ) {
>    result.{
>      truck: true,
>      space: space
>    }
> }

Yes, but it is just a little more dataized version of the code before.
The intent of the programmer is not to create a constant-structure
harness and then (however elegantly) patch it afterwards, it is to
create one data structure with some parts conditional.

The code above is till too imperative - it is really carrying out the if
statement and the doing whatever one pleases inside (so one must scan if
it really is only result.{...}), and has one level of nesting more.

If the form below, you cannot do whatever you please inside then-body or
else-body - just put there the nested data-production.

>     Object literal extension (and get/set before them) have shown that
>     blocks can be used in object literal.
>
>     I propose to have possibility to write
>
>       var result = {
>         model: model,
>         seats: seats,
>         if (space) {
>           truck: true,
>           space: space
>         }
>       };
>
>     in object literal, and similar possibility of conditional definition
>     in the body of a class.
>
>     Herby

Herby

P.S.: And, well, this is not the only thing I have in mind, but if I
post whatever longer, I got tl;dr-ed. I drew more inspiration from code
structures that can be useful by porting to data side, having the same
semantics, but descriptive instead of imperative nature. But I must go
one by one.