Internationalization summary 1/19 (TC39 meeting)

Alex Sexton alexsexton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 16:59:00 PST 2012

Hi all,

I'm the author of said "Jed" library. I'd be happy to update the info on
the Jed site with the correct terminology, but I was wondering why the term
"internationalization" is incorrect? It's an implementation of the Gettext
spec (with a few wrappers) which GNU defines as an _internationalization_
tool (and so does wikipedia, etc, etc):

http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#Concepts

The easiest to read summary being:

"Also, very roughly said, when it comes to multi-lingual messages,
internationalization is usually taken care of by programmers, and
localization is usually taken care of by translators."

Jed specifically _doesn't handle_ the loading or setting of locales, it is
rather the mechanism for implementing applications in a
non-language-specific manner. Gettext has proved to be useful in other
languages, as it handles pluralization and positional interpolation (with
sprintf's help), and it seems to work well in JavaScript.

The APIs that Jed offers on top of Gettext are just sugar (they call
directly into the dcnpgettext function but they're pretty because omg
chaining).

I'd love to learn more about the internationalization specs that you are
working on. Is there a link to them somewhere? I'd love to bridge the gap
between what you're talking about and what I've put into Jed.

Thanks!
Alex Sexton

Nebojša Ćirić cira at google.com
Mon Jan 23 14:19:05 PST 2012