shortcuts for defining block-local private names, plays nicely with @foo syntax

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Mon Jan 23 13:11:43 PST 2012

> Gavin Barraclough <mailto:barraclough at apple.com>
> January 23, 2012 12:54 PM
> On Jan 23, 2012, at 12:27 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
>
> Is the intention here that the private name object would be in scope,
> and accessible to the user? – if so, this does seem useful, but using
> the plain name of the property seems potentially prone to typos, e.g.
>
> let o = {};
> {
> private x:
> o.setX = function(x) {
> @x = x;
> }
> o.getX = function() {
> return x; // should be 'return @x;'
> }
> }
>
> I seems that this would be an easy mistake to make, and doesn't appear
> to be a syntax error is x is in scope.

Yes, so the above would need to use px or some such obfuscated name for
the private binding.

Previously we had private x; bind in a separate lexical chain from the
one searched for identifiers to right of . and before : in object
literals. That foundered on readability (which x?).

Then I think we considered a proposal where private x; bound in a
separate lexical chain but that chain was searched *only* on right of @.
That proposal seemed not to have the readability drawback. It also
solves the problem you show above?

But now we've jumped to same single lexical chain. Did we skip a useful
alternative design?