Shouldn't timers be specified?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sun Jan 22 12:00:33 PST 2012

> Brandon Benvie <mailto:brandon at brandonbenvie.com>
> January 21, 2012 9:59 PM
> Sorry to spam this thread but I wanted to get the relevent points in
> up front:
>
> 'Actually, wait a minute -- I think I disagree with you here.

On what? Being past the deadline? Not rushing a de-jure standard before
we have synthesized the right semantics from relevant JS embeddings?

> Spec the unofficial agreement, including the minimal(/maximal if it
> exists) time constraints, and go from there. This is needed.

Why? What goes wrong if we go light on execution model one more time? I
think nothing.

But in fact we are going to get a little more into execution model in
ES6. How much remains to be seen. We discussed it at last week's meeting.

But this is not an all-or-nothing proposition, and I do not see the
do-or-die requirement. Reality is what it is. HTML5 captures a lot.
Node.js conforms. ES6 saying more doesn't alter these facts.