Block lambda is cool, its syntax isn't

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sat Jan 21 11:56:45 PST 2012

> François REMY <mailto:fremycompany_pub at yahoo.fr>
> January 21, 2012 1:34 AM
> About the 'fn' proposal, I'm happy with it. Asking a 'use' statement
> just for that feature may prove a little excessive but if it can be
> merged with other can-be-breaking syntax reforms ('use es6')

Please read the notes from the tc39 meeting, and the recent threads. We
are not requiring version opt-in. New syntax is its own opt-in.

The problem here is that 'fn' is not "new syntax" without complex
parsing hacks. It's an unreserved identifier in ES1-5.

> why not. But, seriously, what really makes it impossible to use # or @?

We've been over this already. # is for freezing, @ is for private names.
The Matlab precedent of @ for function is quite weak (thanks for
pointing it out).