Block lambda is cool, its syntax isn't

François REMY fremycompany_pub at yahoo.fr
Sat Jan 21 01:34:27 PST 2012

About 'ƒ': on my keyboard, there's no way to type it. I have to use ALT+its
UTF8 keycode, and it doesn't work in all programs. BTW, since the default
file format on Windows is not UTF8, expect many developers to use ISO-8859-1
for their JS files. Personnaly, I use Notepad++ which allow me to use UTF8
as default encoding, but I don't expect all devs to do that.

About the 'fn' proposal, I'm happy with it. Asking a 'use' statement just
for that feature may prove a little excessive but if it can be merged with
other can-be-breaking syntax reforms ('use es6'), why not. But, seriously,
what really makes it impossible to use # or @? Those would have no compat
issues, would require no header. Even if @ would be used in private-name, it
would be in a completely different context. It's like the SQL guys who used
'%' as wildchar in LIKE strings because '*' was already used as a shortcut
in the SELECT operand; those use of the '*' symbol were completely
orthogonal, and it would have been possible to allow both.

François