Jan 18 meeting notes

Isaac Schlueter i at izs.me
Fri Jan 20 13:00:37 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 17:27, Waldemar Horwat <waldemar at google.com> wrote:
> Octal constants:
> Useful as arguments to chmod.
> Proposal for 0o123 (as well as 0b01110).
> MarkM: Concerned about 0O123.
> Waldemar: Nothing unusul here. We've lived with 36l (meaning 36 long instead
> of 361) in Java and C++ for a long time.
> Alternative for octal: 8r123 (but then we'd also want 16r123, 2r0101, and
> maybe more).
> Decided to allow 0o and 0b.  Unresolved whether to allow 0O and 0B.
> Persistent weak feelings on both sides on the upper case forms.

On behalf of Node.js, thank you.  This is the right call.

FWIW (ie, not much), I'm personally 100% ambivalent about 0O and 0B.
0O is less visually distinctive than 0o, and caps support isn't really
necessary.

Nr### is not really necessary. Programming happens primarily in bases
2, 8, 10, and 16.  (And 64, but that's mostly just for serializing.)
If we have 0b, 0o, 0x, and the default base 10, then that's plenty.