shortcut for private(this)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Fri Jan 20 10:27:19 PST 2012

Let's not bikeshed class private syntax just yet. I mean, we could
(es-discuss, right?) but I don't think it is productive.

And again, we do not want a reified "private state object", so private
could not be a free expression. This also hurts private(other).weight --
'weight' is not an identifier in a "private state object", it has to be
a private name object binding. Therefore we should avoid any syntax
suggesting a first-class reflection of a private state object.

This is why @foo for private name object bound to lexical identifier foo
has been proposed. It also has the benefits of being shorter and
matching some other languages near to JS.

/be