Multi-line quasi literals

Luke Hoban lukeh at microsoft.com
Thu Jan 19 23:11:12 PST 2012

One of the valuable use cases for quasis that we've discussed is multi-line string literals.  It was just pointed out to me that the current proposal page mentions an open issue which calls into question multi-line string literals and the exact semantics of them.  This is in http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:quasis "Line Continuation and Line Terminators".

The concern raised there is about trailing whitespace at the end of lines, and in particular issues related to source control and end-of-line escapes.

My feeling is that:
a) Multi-line string literals are important and should be supported in quasis.
b) Trailing whitespace should be allowed and preserved.   It is a useful for quasis to be "as literal as possible".

This came up in side conversation at the TC39 meeting today - wanted to send mail to see if the open issue can be resolved.

Luke