Jan 18 meeting notes

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Fri Jan 20 09:09:34 PST 2012

> Andy Wingo <mailto:wingo at igalia.com>
> January 20, 2012 7:43 AM
> I had a hard time following the conclusions here. There does seem to
> be some uncertainty regarding ES6 features in non-strict code, but is
> in strict mode and in modules is this (DaveH's new proposal) the
> consensus? Thanks, Andy

I listed every harmony:proposals (eventually -- some eluded me) on the
white board and we worked through them, evaluating how they could work
in non-strict code. That was the list with ? or x next to any proposal
with questions or overt (we thought) compatibility problems.

We eventually solved all the cases that survived (typeof null == "null"
died). This means new ES6 features work in non-strict code. Great news!

We need some experiments to prove that those early x marks can be
removed. For instance, const and function-in-block require
experimentation by SpiderMonkey and JavaScriptCore in nightly builds to
switch to the ES6 semantics in non-strict code and see what breaks.