Block lambda is cool, its syntax isn't

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Jan 18 11:41:05 PST 2012

> Oliver Hunt <mailto:oliver at apple.com>
> January 18, 2012 11:37 AM
>
> On Jan 18, 2012, at 10:36 AM, Gavin Barraclough wrote:
>> This seems unlikely to cause any confusion in real usage, since it
>> only effects an object literal as an operand to a bitwise operator.
>
> I dislike the | mode quite a lot, the only obvious reason for that
> proposal existing is some peoples current love of ruby :)

Not so -- I do not love Ruby. Also, this is essentially an _ad hominem_
argument.

>  Why not use the C++ lambda syntax?

Because we cannot use (params) { body } without a restricted production
*and* the result looking too much like a function, or run-together
expression and block-statement. We've been over this.

Block-lambdas have significantly different semantics due to TCP
conformance. They ought to look different.