Globalization API holiday summary

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Tue Jan 17 10:20:16 PST 2012

On Jan 16, 2012, at 7:45 PM, Norbert Lindenberg wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2011, at 10:25 , Nebojša Ćirić wrote:
>
>> Proposed changes to the original API:
> [snip]
>>  2a. What happens with toLocaleString methods when user doesn't load @globalization module?
>
> I think they should work as specified in the Globalization API spec regardless. You don't want to get different results from these methods depending on whether some component on the page has loaded the module or none has.

What about backwards compatibility?  Some pages may be doing browser sniffing to customize themselves for the current implementation dependent behavior of toLocaleString and friends.  For this reason, continuing to specify the behavior as implementation defined in the absence of loading the @globalization module may be a reasonable alternative

Allen