Re: ES6 “modes” and user-friendliness

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Tue Jan 17 06:40:53 PST 2012

I think "mode" terminology is quite misleading, particularly in regard to run time semantics. For Es5 (and I believ es6) there is no need of for a global runtime mode bit that is analagous to a cpu mode bit that ambiently changes the semantics of some or all instruction.  Instead, we have multiple semantic for some constructs where the appropiate semantics to use can be apriori determined based up lexical context prior to runtime.

From a es programmer's perspectve it is reasonable to think about code as being in a strict context or perhaps an es6 context (a module Context?).  But calling such contexts "modes" may create confusion, sometimes even for us.

Allen