ES6 opt-in, reloaded

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Mon Jan 16 14:47:02 PST 2012

> David Herman <mailto:dherman at mozilla.com>
> January 16, 2012 2:18 PM
>
> The goal that is missing, and what I believe is the single most
> important part of my New Year's email, is:
>
> 9. Allow programmers to continue thinking of JS as a single cohesive
> language.

Thanks, this is the transcendant usability goal in my view. ES4 suffered
for many reasons, and seeming to create too different a language was one
of its biggest conceptual (as in problem in the abstract, not just in
concrete proposals) flaws. Not all of this was bad PR, either.

If we have already gone too far in terms of runtime "five fingers of
fate" changes with completion reform, we can pare back. But I'd like to
give c.r. a chance -- it may be non-breaking.

New compile-time reforms such as modules making free variable typos be
early errors are a feature, and the fact that they're early errors is
pure unadulterated win.

New early errors (provided they are not prone to false positives or
attempts to enfoce style on which reasonable people disagree) seem all
good. Early errors under new syntax are not a forking of the language
from being One JavaScript.

Version opt-in goes the other way, not just as a user-facing requirement
to use an early top level pragma, but also in terms of learning,
thinking, and further evolving the language. This is a risk for spec
editors and TC39 -- I believe strongly that we must not fork the spec.