Block lambda grammar: BlockArguments

Herby Vojčík herby at mailbox.sk
Mon Jan 16 05:14:31 PST 2012

Thank you, it helped.

It is the fact that in ES up till now, {} block were always delimited by
a keyword (if/else is probably the only case when two blocks were
present). So it is not a bad idea to retain it.

The problem with this is, one can put arguments in normal parentheses as
well as paren-free and keywords are only needed in paren-free
scenario... nevertheless. I have an idea. What if this would be allowed:

function myIf(cond, ifBlock myElse elseBlock={||}) {

that is, to allow to separate formal argument names with keywords, not
only with commas (again, there can be some restriction like only first
few ot last few can be separated this way, so it conforms the overall
goals of the grammar).

Then, one could write (well, never mind now if it needs currying or not,
it is not a topic now):

myIf(a>b) {|| doThisIfAWins() } myElse {|| doThisIfBWins() };

but also (since elseBlock has default value)

myIf(a>b) {|| doThisIfAWins() };

and of course, it still can write

myIf(a>b, {|| doThisIfAwins() }, {|| doThisIfBWins());

though it is a question if it would not be more consistent to do:

myIf(a>b, {|| doThisIfAwins() } myElse {|| doThisIfBWins());

Herby