Block lambda grammar: BlockArguments

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sun Jan 15 23:41:53 PST 2012

> Herby Vojčík <mailto:herby at mailbox.sk>
> January 15, 2012 1:24 AM
>
> "Nothing is going to match Smalltalk on this. Keyword parameters are
> not even on the map because object literals suck the oxygen out of the
> room. And then you'll want to get rid of the || for empty block
> parameters."
> ===
>
> Sorry for this question, it is more a meta one. The paragraph above
> seems too dense for me to digest (and I thought my English is pretty
> good). Would it be possible to explain a little more? Like what is
> meant by "going to match"

"be as good as" Smalltalk.

> and what is "this" in "on this;

"on keyword selector syntax".

> and things like "not in the map"

No strawman or even idle chatter about adding keyword parameter passing
to JS.

> , "o.l. suck the oxygen out of the room", and the last sentence, too.

We have discussed here and in TC39 how {key: val} actual parameters in
the language already (object literals) remove most of the justification
and almost all motivation for adding key: val parameter syntax to call
expressions.

> Thank you, Herby

Hope this helps.

> [ did you know you quoted cca 50 screens? 8-O I took the liberty of
> omitting them. ]

I'm using a new mail user agent and it does tend to overcite. Sorry,
will try to fix.