Block Lambdas: break and continue

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sat Jan 14 15:40:40 PST 2012

> Axel Rauschmayer <mailto:axel at rauschma.de>
> January 14, 2012 1:19 PM
> Two possibilities (but I’m not entirely sure how much sense they make):
>
> - Use a keyword that enables custom break and continue (problem: "for"
> clashes with iterators):
> for mycollection.each({ | x | if (x === 0) break })

Really clashes with paren-free, which is not ready for promotion from
strawman. In a comprehension or generator expression you must use
paren-free for/of syntax and only for/of. But could be confusing just on
this basis.

I still think we're talking about reifying break as an exception here.
That plus EIBTI mean we should do what Francois proposes, if we want to
support this form, and require "throw break".

> - Standardize a BreakException. Then breaking isn’t the loop’s
> responsibility, any more. `continue` as an early return seems less
> important, because you can use break as follows:
> mycoll.forEach { | x |
> block: {
> if (x < 0) {
> break block; // "continue"
> }
> // do more with x here
> }
> }

But this is ugly, and if we have "throw break" we may as well have
"throw continue". Again I'm not on board, just noting the alternatives.
Why stop half-way *if* we want to reify as exceptions (which again, to
confirm, is what any mycoll.forEach break/continue hook-up would require)?

/be