Block Lambdas: break and continue

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sat Jan 14 14:12:35 PST 2012

> François REMY <mailto:fremycompany_pub at yahoo.fr>
> January 14, 2012 2:06 PM
> Yes, I did not say I was going to struggle about that functionnality.
> I just read some of the many threads of this mailing list and, when I
> encounter an idea that resonnate in my brain, I do my best to play the
> Devils’ advocate when it gets rejected, just to push the discussion
> forward.

Perfectly fine and what this list is for. Please accept my apology if I
seemed to reject things too quickly. We need to give "throw break" and
"throw continue" full consideration.
> I find that many ideas proposed on this mailing list are discarded too
> quickly and desserve some more ‘agnostic’ analysis. If someone reached
> this mailing list and posted something in it, it’s probably not by
> hazard, and many people probably had the same idea but didn’t bother
> to reach the comitee because of the inertial barrier. Pushing the idea
> further may or may not lead to something at the end, but it will drive
> new ideas. Maybe one of them will be worth a shot. Or maybe it’ll just
> change the mind of someone. It’s my philosophy, at least. I just hope
> you don’t consider me as someone who tries his best to argue with you,
> it’s clearly not my goal.

It's funny you should write this (I agree completely) because I often
hear people complain that es-discuss is too busy or noisy (it's not
compared to many lists I follow).

Exploring larger design spaces, doing though experiments based on
research and precedent from solid existing languages that are "close" to
JS in semantics -- these are welcome here and I gladly put up with some
noise to get them. And in the case of this thread, I see very low noise.

In any case I don't see how to avoid a bit of noise in general, long
with perhaps *many* negative results (which are "good" in science, and
which we should remember to avoid going in bad circles), to get the
benefits of exploring the larger design space and considering strong
precedent.

So, onward!

/be