Block Lambdas: break and continue

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sat Jan 14 13:16:12 PST 2012

> François REMY <mailto:fremycompany_pub at yahoo.fr>
> January 14, 2012 1:01 PM
> If we want to avoid to break TCP, we can go with “throw break;” and
> “throw continue;”.

This doesn't address Herby's TCP-violating wish for a non-return that
completes the block-lambda's control flow normally with a value (the
message to which I was replying). But you're right that it wouldn't
violate TCP either if we support it the same in a block statement as in
a block-lambda downward funarg.

> It would throw a new BreakException or a new ContinueException, from
> the place where they are executed. If it’s outside a block lambda,
> it’s outside a block lambda. It doesn’t matter.

Yes, this would avoid TCP violations but not carry a return value --
Herby's wish.
> But it would set a “standard” for breaking throug ‘function loops’.

I considered this in drafting the block-lambda revival strawman. Other
languages have gone here. Nevertheless, I would like to leave it out
(remember N. Wirth on language design). It adds more complexity for a
use-case that I bet is rare (in any case it needs credible demonstration
of being quite common).

The complexity in the semantics is one issue Dave raised. This
corresponds to complexity for optimizing engines, compared to the purely
static break/continue semantics in the strawman.

Finally, the Array extras ship sailed. People already have to use some
or every in lieu of a break-from-forEach. Using a function callback with
forEach, one needs only to return to simulate continue. Now if we do
standardize block-lambdas and throw break or throw continue, we
certainly can elaborate the extras to catch these exceptions.

Such a more complex design seems workable with the costs noted above.
But will the benefits really outweigh those costs? I doubt it. First,
Array forEach and other uses will continue to use functions for quite a
while, or else a compiler from new standard JS to old. In the compiler
case, throw and try/catch will be required, and the compiler will have
to monkey-patch the extras to deal with the new exceptions. This will be
a performance killer, and no fun to debug.

So my thinking remains that we are better off, when in doubt, leaving
reified break and continue exceptions "out".

/be