Octal literals have their uses (you Unix haters skip this one)

Lasse Reichstein reichsteinatwork at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 01:30:40 PST 2012

I'd like having 0o777 (and 0b1111!) but I thought the reason for removing
the existing octal literals was that they were surprising and error-prone
(and behaving erratically in different settings, so, e.g., 0100 != +"0100").
That reasoning still stands.

I can't say whether removing them from strict mode was really a benfit. It
made strict mode more compatible across browsers than non-strict mode ever
was, but it might also have made moving code from non-strict to strict
slightly harder.
Personally, I'd go for strict mode to be sure that my numbers were *not*
interpreted as octal.
But that's what's being argued here - converting existing code (or existing
programmers) to strict mode is hampered by them not being able to use the
octal numbers they are used to.

Well, these are obviously not programmers that want strict mode to begin
with (since it requires very little effort to change the octal literal to a
string). It's people that would choose strict mode only if it was trivial
or they had a compelling reason for doing it.

I don't think people writing non-strict code as their default for node.js
is a problem solved by changing strict mode.
It might be changed if there was an actual advantage for the programmers in
using strict mode, which there hasn't been - it's not faster, it's not
simpler, and it's not what they are used to, and being more compatible
between ECMAScript implementations makes no difference when writing for
just node.js.

/L