Octal literals have their uses (you Unix haters skip this one)

Lasse Reichstein reichsteinatwork at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 22:15:06 PST 2012

Seems like a library interface that isn't well thought through:
Accepting a number as input, but it's only reasonably written in one
base. Then it's not really a number, but rather a formatted string, so
the chmod function should take a string as argument and do its own
parseInt(_,8) on it (and accept other formats too, like "a+rw" or
"rwxr--r--").

Don't try to fix a single broken interface by adding unnecessary
features to the language!
/L 'not a Unix hater, but probably a chmod hater'