Anonymous methods

John J Barton johnjbarton at
Wed Jan 11 10:10:54 PST 2012

The blog post makes
the case for blocks that act like functions when passed as arguments but
have loop-up rules more like nested blocks.

Of course these are called 'block lambdas', and I suggest that this is a
problem. Given that very few programmers understand lambda calculus (and
this will not change), the word 'lambda' is equivalent to "too difficult to

When I looked up lambda on I read

  In mathematical logic <>
 and computer science <>,
lambda is used to introduce an anonymous
function<> expressed
with the concepts of lambda

and then "Oh that is what they meant with all that 'block-lambda' stuff".

If the discussion here were on a new ES feature "anonymous methods", then I
guess many more developers would be interested. If this feature had the
properties outlined in the blog post, then I think many developers would
understand the value of this potential feature. As it is I guess they stop
reading as soon as they see the word 'lambda'.