ES6 doesn't need opt-in

Mark S. Miller erights at google.com
Sun Jan 8 16:53:02 PST 2012

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
[...]

All cool with the above. Thanks.

I wrote in a previous reply that we aren't preserving ES5 as a spec
> referenced from ES6. ES6 will be self-contained. So I still don't grok your
> concern here.

Sorry, I missed that. In that case, I still don't understand what your plan
for ES6 is. Does the ES6 spec include the state machine and an updated form
of the ES5-non-strict portions of the ES5 spec, as referenced by that state
machine? If not, what standards document governs how a future standards
compliant browser is supposed to handle code which has non opted into
anything, neither implicitly-explicitly nor explicitly?

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM