ES6 doesn't need opt-in

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Sun Jan 8 08:15:47 PST 2012

On Jan 8, 2012, at 8:10 AM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 11:05 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.com> wrote:
> [...]
>  so are we really just arguing about names or labels? If so, great -- those are important to get right.
> [...]
>
> While I agree it's important to get labels right, if that is indeed the only remaining issue here, that's wonderful. I'm mellow about labels others find attractive, as long as we agree on observables.
>
> I think there is an observable difference between what I'm advocating and what Allen is. Not as sure about your position.

I think the only open issue is whether

  "use strict";

opts into completion reform and any other semantic change that does not have a syntactic trigger.

I'm ok with trying completion reform as an extension to "use strict"; in ES5+ implementations, ASAP -- more than ok, really. It would help prove completion reform is non-breaking.