ES6 doesn't need opt-in

Axel Rauschmayer axel at rauschma.de
Sat Jan 7 23:41:32 PST 2012

On Jan 8, 2012, at 8:05 , Brendan Eich wrote:

> Allen has 5&6, ES5, ES6, and Compat5. Relabel these to
>
>   ES5-nonstrict-ES6-intersection
>   ES5-nonstrict
>   ES6
>   ES5-nonstrict-differs-from-ES6
>
> Since ES5-strict is a subset of ES6, it doesn't require new states.

I like these labels!

Isn’t ES5.nonstrict the union of ES5.nonstrict-ES6-intersection and ES5.nonstrict-differs-from-ES6? If yes then ES5.nonstrict disappears and we might have a venn diagram intersecting ES5.nonstrict and ES6:
    ES5.nonstrict-only  (=ES5.nonstrict-differs-from-ES6)
    ES5.nonstrict-ES6-intersection
    ES6-only  (=ES6-differs-from-ES5.nonstrict)

This might be about to the question as to whether there should be a mode that combines ES6-differs-from-ES5.strict constructs with ES5.nonstrict. I don’t think there should be.

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
axel at rauschma.de

home: rauschma.de