ES6 doesn't need opt-in

Gavin Barraclough barraclough at apple.com
Sat Jan 7 21:35:27 PST 2012

On Jan 7, 2012, at 8:39 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
> Remember, we are not proposing breaking semantic shifts of meaning for existing syntax. So the realistic worry is that you have code with arguments[i] aliasing a formal, and this is required for correct operation, and you then start using ES6 features (which imply ES5-strict), which breaks arguments aliasing.

Hmmm, I was thinking this proposal implied much more of a breaking change (e.g. removing the global object from scope), but if the change in semantics largely comes down to enabling ES5-strict then maybe this isn't so bad.  If we are talking about implicitly enabling ES5-strict for the whole program, I would think there may be a quite a few more hazards to consider? (code that implicitly introduces variables onto the global object, assumes this conversion to global object value in function calls, uses callee/caller/arguments, etc).

Still, I'm warming up to the idea considerably if the implicit opt-in is triggering no major breaking changes.

G.