ES6 doesn't need opt-in

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Fri Jan 6 12:05:27 PST 2012

On Jan 6, 2012, at 11:23 AM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> AFAICT, this agrees with my analysis of what your proposal means. How does this not result in three modes?

I guess I don't understand exactly what you mean by a "mode" or why the number of modes is particularly interesting.

From an implementation perspective, I suppose you consider each state in my FSM a "mode" in which case we have 4 processing modes.  Or

If you are using "mode" to classify the semantics of arguments and assignment to undeclared identifiers then there are two modes: "strict" and "non-strict"

If you are using "mode" to classify what can occur in a StatementList there are three modes: ES5, ES5-strict, ES-6.

Allen