ES6 doesn't need opt-in

Herby Vojčík herby at mailbox.sk
Fri Jan 6 05:57:30 PST 2012

-----Pôvodná správa-----
From: Axel Rauschmayer
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 12:11 PM
To: Allen Wirfs-Brock
Cc: Mark S. Miller ; Brendan Eich ; es-discuss Steen
Subject: Re: ES6 doesn't need opt-in

As a human, I would want an ES6 trigger to appear as early as possible. I
wouldn’t want to read through a file, encounter an ES6 trigger at the end
and then have to revise the understanding of the code that I had so far. I
like the whole-file-or-nothing approach for switching semantics that you
proposed.

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
axel at rauschma.de

===

But you can! Allen has explicitly said "put 'let ES6;' at the beginning if
you want to force ES6". As a human, you can argue that it is humanly to
actually do it. And when the code is such that it is really ES5&ES6 the
whole time and only at the end the ES6 feature is used, then what? It is so.

I think the Mark Miller's "has the huge benefit that the ES6 spec can avoid
describing the semantics of non-strict code. Cool." is undepinning what the
real value behind the Allen's state machine is.

Herby