Improving Function.prototype.bind

François REMY fremycompany_pub at yahoo.fr
Fri Jan 6 01:29:27 PST 2012

Such an implementation would be very slow and not efficient, because
searching for a key in the "boundFunctions" weakmap would take time. It can
be a polyfill solution but a new implementation need something better.

I think the solution would be to create an "invisible" [[boundFunctions]]
property for all objects containing a dictionnary<weak<function>,
weak<boundFunction>> of already-bound functions on the object. The
implementation of bind would then be :

- if objToBind is not a reference, create a new boundFunction and return it.
- if objToBind.[[boundFunctions]] don't exist, create it.
- else, check if it contains a key for functionToBind //when you are
processing the dictionnary, remove obsolete entries you may find
    - if yes, check if the weak reference is alive
    - if yes, returns the boundFunction
- create a new boundFunction and store it into objToBind.[[boundFunctions]]
- return the newly created boundFunction

Would that be possible?

François