Improving Function.prototype.bind

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Jan 5 17:22:41 PST 2012

On Jan 5, 2012, at 4:47 PM, Andrea Giammarchi wrote:

> Guys, by any chance we can go back into the topic?

You'll have to polyfill Function.prototype.bind in the current world of pre-ES5 browsers. Why not then go on to wrap it in a memoizing version that uses a WeakMap if available (emulated with strong keys/values array-based implementation if not)?

If you need this machinery, it's all doable. If we should evolve a Harmony bind or betterBind based on your experience and others, we can do that.

Right now the lack of memoization is not a burning issue, from what I hear. You've raised it, I think for the first time on es-discuss.