Improving Function.prototype.bind

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Jan 5 15:52:21 PST 2012

On Jan 5, 2012, at 8:08 AM, François REMY wrote:

> >> It’s a shame that we are really close in JavaScript, with the ECMA-262 specification using references.
> >>

> As things are going, things are not going to change. The strong desire to avoid any behavior breakingchange between ES5 and ES6 actually makes it impossible to fix a lot of issues. I’m starting to think Google may be right to start over a new language,

Lots of new languages these days -- a good thing.

Starting a language is one thing. Getting adoption is another matter.

> the comitee is too conservative about ES.
>
> But, I agree, it’s a shame.

What *exactly* would you do here? Making methods auto-bind on extraction, with memoization? Please be concrete and specific.

I do not believe (Axel) that the spec's Reference internal type is helpful as an externally-visible part of the language in any of this.