ES6 doesn't need opt-in

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Wed Jan 4 13:00:01 PST 2012

On Jan 4, 2012, at 8:39 AM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> Here's an interesting compromise I consider perfectly reasonable. We don't *mandate* any ES6 code features be available in ES6 non-strict mode. But we don't prohibit them either. For any ES6 features that have no dependence on mode, like destructuring, we mandate that they be present in strict code, and we make them normative optional (the new Appendix B category) in non-strict code.

Too complicated. Why not just have "one JavaScript" (modulo ES5 strict mode, whether its selection was explicit or implicit)?

> Implementors are free to implement them or not in non-strict mode, but if they implement them, it must mean the same thing as the mandated meaning in strict code.

We need interop on the web. If we let implementations vary as to whether, e.g., rest parameters require "use strict", then I predict the implementations that *do not* require "use strict" will win, and we'll have to spec normative non-optional anyway.

I'm very sure developers will not want "use strict"; as a requirement. That battle has been lost already with most developers (the war goes on, but let's not refight unnecessarily).

Anyway, predictions aside, I do not agree we should require "use strict" if the syntax speaks for itself.

My argument is not against strict mode (the basis of Harmony!) but rather against requiring "use strict"; directives to use new features that can be expressed without incompatible meaning shifts (only with guaranteed early errors in pre-Harmony implementations).