Make method semantic identical in classes and literals

Herby Vojčík herby at mailbox.sk
Tue Jan 3 12:24:12 PST 2012

Hello,

overall I believe in making classes and literals as close as possible. I
think at least semantics of things they have in common should be identical.

In http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:classes, this is written:

  By default, data properties define enumerable prototype properties while
method members define non-enumerable prototype properties. Members of
non-const classes default to writable and configurable. Member adjectives,
if present, override the default attributes of the property being defined.

(I take the liberty to treat const classes as special case, so) for
(general) non-const classes, method are non-enumerable, configurable,
writable. Declaring the method itself const (whatever syntax is adopted)
probably changes it to non-configurable and non-writable.

I deem this semantics as the right one. We are in dynamic language and want
to have our methods changeable, but non-enumerable is very nice property of
a method. And if taking the case of static away for a moment, class is not
any special thing: we can look at it as the literal describing the class's
prototype object (which it, sort-of, does).

In http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:object_literals, this is
written:

  If a property definition has the form of a FunctionDeclaration without the
keyword function it is a non-enumerable, non-writable, non-configurable data
property definition whose name is the function name. This is called a method
definition.

(For data (not methods), the literal semantics is the same as for class,
but) for methods, object literal extension treats method as fixed. I believe
they should be non-enumerable, but writable and configurable, and only
changed to fixed when explicitly stated as const (whetever syntax is
adopted), so the semantics is the same as it is for classes.

What do you think?

Thanks, Herby