set.delete method name

David Herman dherman at mozilla.com
Wed Feb 29 07:26:14 PST 2012

On Feb 28, 2012, at 4:22 PM, Yehuda Katz wrote:

> However, this means that all downstream users would need to use ['delete'] something that is sufficiently weird and confusing to new developers that we always avoid it.

Which should be enough reason for us to avoid it in standard libraries as well. There's really no strong reason for "delete" other than for consistency with the delete operator and the existing objects-as-tables usage pattern. But given the costs -- small though they may be in character-count terms -- any savings in mental cost you get from the consistency with the unary operator are more than offset by the mental cost of "whoa, you mean I can't write map.delete because some browsers I'm not testing with will break?"

> It occurs to me that if Maps are available, so are proxies, but I'm not sure I want to start using proxies as a blunt force instrument.

Well, that's overkill; you can easily create an object that delegates to a map without reaching for proxies.

But that's neither here nor there. You're right; there's not enough upside for `delete` compared to the downside of being fragile across browser versions and requiring people to pollute their code indefinitely.

(Note that I *don't* think this is a problem for the `throw` method of generators, since if you know you have a browser that supports generators, you know you have a browser that supports IdentifierName keywords.)

Dave