New full Unicode for ES6 idea

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Tue Feb 21 07:37:53 PST 2012

Brendan Eich wrote:
> in open-source browsers and JS engines that use uint16 vectors internally

Sorry, that reads badly. All I meant is that I can't tell what
closed-source engines do, not that they do not comply with ECMA-262
combined with other web standards to have the same observable effect,
e.g. Allen's example:

var c = "😁" // where the single character between the quotes is the
Unicode character U+1f638

c.length == 2;
c === "\ud83d\ude38"; //the two character UTF-16 encoding of 0x1f683
c.charCodeAt(0) == 0xd83d;
c.charCodeAt(1) == 0xd338;

Still no BRS to set, we need one if we want a full-Unicode outcome
(c.length == 1, etc.).