Set length property

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 12:54:40 PST 2012

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:
> See the thread containing Dean Landolt's dissent on 'length' being the best
> name:
>
> https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2011-November/018571.html
>
> The January 19 2012 meeting notes recorded here:
>
> https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2012-January/019784.html
>
> include "At next meeting MarkM will present a tiny API proposal for maps and
> sets."

In today's practice, iterables are ducktyped by the presence of a
"length" property.  I don't think an "[implication of] metric
topology" matters to basically anyone who's not a huge language-design
nerd. ^_^

Additionally, having multiple names for the "size of" property makes
it more difficult to learn, and more difficult to create generic code.

~TJ