__proto__ security

Gavin Barraclough barraclough at apple.com
Mon Feb 13 11:43:12 PST 2012

On Feb 13, 2012, at 9:55 AM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:

> Finally, an alternative to extending [[Get]] and [[Put]] would be to extend the GetValue abstraction operation (8.7.1) and the Simple Assignment evaluation semantics (11.13.1).
>
> [[DefineOwnProperty]] and [[Delete]] still need to be extended but, independent of any of the above, these two can probably be made over-riding implementations on Object.prototype rather than extending the default implementations used by all objects.

Hi Allen,

I don't know if this is helpful, but Mark's strawman seemed to make this much simpler, perhaps it might make for a less intrusive specification to define that this should behave as if it is an accessor property following Mark's ProtoGetter/ProtoSetter descriptions, whilst leaving how the property is reflected ambiguous?  I think this should amount to the same thing, just might be easier to encapsulate this way?

cheers,
G.