Nested Quasis

Waldemar Horwat waldemar at google.com
Wed Feb 8 13:48:28 PST 2012

On 02/07/2012 04:40 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
> I like Erik's way, but it makes a strange loop from lexical to syntactic grammar. It all works, I believe.
>
> The loop is here:
>
> QuasiHole ::
> Identifier
> { Spacing* Expression Spacing* }
>

> Expression is a syntactic grammar non-terminal, yet here we are in a lexical production.
>
> Waldemar, is this sound?

QuasiHole is a syntactic production, not a lexical one.  See Mark's grammar in his 02/02/2012 11:03 AM message.

I believe that it works, except for the treatment of comments and whitespace along the boundary of a QuasiHole.  I recently gave some examples of the mischief those can create unless we can figure out what to do about them.

     Waldemar