Internationalization summary 1/19 (TC39 meeting)

Norbert Lindenberg ecmascript at norbertlindenberg.com
Sun Feb 5 22:22:24 PST 2012

Following up on Nebojša's summary, I'd like to
- Rename the namespace object of the Globalization API from "Globalization" to "Intl".
- Then rename the API itself from "Globalization API" back to "Internationalization API".

I searched a bit and found indications that the global "Globalization" may have been used for some time by the library now known as jquery/globalize. I haven't found any evidence of "intl" or "Intl" being used in the global namespace ("Intl" is used in the YUI namespace).

Within ECMAScript it seems there's a preference for capitalized namespace names: Math, JSON, hence "Intl".

Our API was conceived as the "Internationalization API", then became the "Globalization API" to match the name of the namespace object. With "Intl", "Internationalization API" again is the better match.

Comments?

Thanks,
Norbert