lexical for-in/for-of loose end

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Wed Feb 1 14:13:38 PST 2012

Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
> Another loose end.
>
> With the addition of for-of, for-in reverts back to always iterating
> over the property keys of an object as it does not support the
> generalized iteration protocols.  An implication of this is that using
> a de-structuring pattern as the iteration variable has very limited
> utility:
>
>     for (let [c] in obj) print(c);  //print the first character of
>     each of obj's enumerable property names
>
>     for (const {length:len}  in obj) print(len);  print the length
>     of each of obj's enumerable property names
>

> Given this lack of utility, why should we allow de-structuring in this
> context?

These are not totally silly examples. I say when in doubt, let language
regularity win.

We are also thereby future-friendly in case some evolution of property
keys becomes even more structured. I know, unlikely, but again:
regularity when in doubt.

> Eliminating it arguably increases language complexity by
> introducing in a bit more grammar irregularity.  On the other hand,
> eliminating useless functionality can be seen as as simplification.

Not useless, your own examples show use-cases.

> I'm leaning towards banning destructing in for-in.

Too nannyish!